Placer Community Theater is holding open auditions for Nunsense on Saturday, July 29 at 10:00 am and Sunday, July 30 at 6:00 pm at Pamelot School of Dance, 540 Wall Street in Auburn.
All ages are invited to participate and all roles are open.
About the Show
The Order of the Little Sisters of Hoboken take over a high school auditorium to hold a fundraising variety show to raise money to bury several sisters (who were accidentally poisoned by their cook). They must inter the nuns before the health inspector comes and finds the dead nuns in their freezer! Fraught with hilarity, both Catholic and otherwise, we watch as 5 nuns try to perform their planned performance amidst chaos and calamity.
Winner of the Outer Critics’ Circle awards for the best off Broadway musical and for the best book and best music.
- Please bring a resume and a recent photo.You will be asked to fill out an audition form when you arrive.
- Please prepare a song that shows off your voice. Do not sing a song from the show.
- Bring instrumental-only accompaniment (no voices on the track) on a CD or an mp3 player.If you are unable to provide an accompaniment track, you may sing a capella but will be asked to match pitch on a piano.
- Be prepared to learn a short dance combination.Dress appropriately in comfortable clothing.
- You will be asked to perform a cold reading from the script.
- Please arrive no later than the starting time of the audition.No appointment is necessary.
- Plan to attend either Saturday or Sunday.You do not need to attend both dates.
- Callbacks will be held on Monday, July 31 at 6:30 pm at Pamelot.You will be notified if you need to come to the callback.
- You will be asked to part of a song from the show.You may also be asked to perform a dance combination and read a scene from the script.
Nunsense will perform Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays at the General Gomez Art and Event Center in Auburn from October 13 to October 28, 2017. Evening performances begin at 7:30 pm and Saturday and Sunday matinees begin at 2:00 pm. The second and third weekend features both matinee and evening performances on Saturday.
- Director and Choreographer: Dinah Smith
Sister Mary Regina (mezzo-soprano / belter). Mother Superior. The head of the convent, she is respected greatly by the sisters. While she is strict, she has a hard time keeping the craziness of the convent at bay. She keeps her guard up in front of the nuns, but has an extroverted side. Part requires some very physical humor. The character is may be played with an Irish accent.
Sister Mary Hubert (mezzo / alto / belter). Hubert is in charge of novices, but fancies herself a Mother Superior and is constant competition with Mary Regina. She exudes maternal wisdom to novices, but also likes to let loose.
Sister Robert Anne (mezzo / belter) Once a child delinquent herself, this rough tough nun is a jokester and constantly challenging authority. She speaks with a thick Brooklyn accent and constantly displays her lack of refinement.
Sister Mary Amnesia (soprano). As the name suggests, she has lost her memory and does not know who she is except that she is a nun. She is spacey and incoherent, often slipping into displays inappropriate for a nun. Must be able to sing in classical and country styles.
Sister Mary Leo (mezzo / belter). Leo is the novice nun, still learning the way and coming to terms with her decision to give up “civilian” life. She is a ballerina and displays her talents through much of the show. She is also easily swayed to join in mischief.
For More Information
Contact Placer Community Theater at email@example.com or Charles Davidson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you would like to be added to our email list for future auditions, please visit our Contact Us section.